In 1932, in the depths of the Great Depression, Guardian Glass Company boldly opened operations in Detroit, Michigan as a small automotive windshield glass fabricator. The company grew to become Guardian Industries Corp, a top-100 supplier to the worldwide automotive industry. As the industry returned to civilian vehicle production after the Second World War, two new companies, Siegel-Robert Automotive and Automotive Molding Company (AMC), supplied manufacturers with plating and injection molding in plastic exterior body components.
Siegel-Robert would eventually pioneer chrome-plated plastics in the 1960’s. By the late 1960’s, the operations of Guardian Industries had expanded to include windshield fabricating, 10 automotive glass distribution centers, and a photofinishing division, the strong roots for the next steps in Guardian Industries Corp. automotive history.